Wednesday, February 18, 2009

One night @ the call centre, a mindless masala


I picked up one of the best selling novel by Chetan Bhagat for two reasons - One, the title sounded interesting and two, it is from an Indian author. The bollywood movie "HELLO..." definitely wasn't my inspiration.

With the intent of not revealing the plot of the story, I would try not to be superfluous, but be concise in giving my take on it.

As the title suggests, the story is based on one night's events in a call center. It revolves around 6 people working in the same group at a call center, who assist customers on home appliances. As any common person can predict, many events happen that night. With this kind of a storyline, it becomes difficult to narrate many convincing events happening over a night. So the author smartly tries to break the chronological order of events on that night and narrates the love story of a couple in the group as a flashback. But, very many pages of his writing goes in this story telling.

Though in prologue, the author's words emphasize on inspiring the youth, the book merely fails in doing it. It would have been better off, if it was not portrayed as a motivational message for the reader. May be the author is attempting to pass on the moral in a "contemporary" manner by stretching the fun (love) part & maintaining a very short narration (given by GOD) in enlightening the youth!!

The author gives a simple & powerful message of, we need to follow what we truly believe in life - Be in the life making or career decisions. But, he truly does not focus on that. The loosely stitched storyline and the less imaginative stereotype way of telling story makes the writing mediocre. At some points, the reasoning in the book becomes nonsensical - Like calling common Americans as dumb. May be I will accept it to some extent, but not to the extent that the author has depicted and uses them in trying to solve the big crisis of layoffs in the call center. At that point, the story really lacks sense and becomes unbearable to accept. No set of people in the world can be so dumb, according to me.

I think the author wants each reader to relate to one of the characters. But, the story becomes so unreal, he fails in that attempt too. Towards the end, in an effort to get some real sense, the author tries to play a trick of giving a quick alternate option - Like instead of GOD speaking, assume some real person spoke those words (may be for readers like me). But, it doesn't truly convince and at that point in the book, it really doesn't matter. However, this trick reminds me of what Yann Martel does in his book "Life of Pi", a must read book I would say. I guess Chetan got inspired by this!

Inspite of so many discontents I expressed, it remained gripping and I wanted to finish it in one go. I guess, to me the anxiety of how GOD is going to appear and how well the author can stitch that to the story kept me going. However, that part of the book really disappointed me.

One night @ the call centre, truly a masala book.

3 comments:

Roopesh Chander said...

But Chetan Bhagat was always pretty much trash, right? One book is all I could stand, the one the team gave me for a birthday. :)

Shanthi said...

This guy is over hyped for nothing - He is got totally 3 best seller. BTW, which book was it?

Roopesh Chander said...

5.someone - his first book, iirc. Starts out ok, and it's a page turner and all, but you finish it fast, and then think "What crap, man!".